By William E. Deal,Brian Ruppert
A Cultural background of jap Buddhism deals a finished, nuanced, and chronological account of the evolution of Buddhist faith in Japan from the 6th century to the current day.
- Traces each one interval of jap historical past to bare the advanced and sometimes debatable histories of eastern Buddhists and their unfolding narratives
- Examines appropriate social, political, and transcultural contexts, and areas an emphasis on eastern Buddhist discourses and fabric culture
- Addresses the expanding pageant among Buddhist, Shinto, and Neo-Confucian world-views via to the mid-nineteenth century
- Informed through the newest examine, together with the most recent jap and Western scholarship
- Illustrates the richness and complexity of eastern Buddhism as a lived faith, supplying readers a glimpse into the improvement of this advanced and sometimes misunderstood tradition
Read or Download A Cultural History of Japanese Buddhism (Wiley-Blackwell Guides to Buddhism) PDF
Similar buddhism books
Masaharu Anesaki's historical past of jap faith is still a much-cited pillar of eastern reports and is now on hand in electronic layout. the unique draft of the current e-book was once an consequence of the author's lectures at Harvard college in the course of the years 1913-15, whilst he had the distinction of occupying there the chair of eastern Literature and lifestyles.
Theravada Buddhism offers a finished introductory evaluate of the historical past, teachings, and present perform of a frequently misunderstood type of one of many world’s oldest non secular traditions. Explores Theravada Buddhism’s origins, evolution, teachings, and practices Considers the perform of Theravada past Sri Lanka and Thailand, by means of exploring a wealth of fabric from international locations together with Bangladesh, Cambodia, and Vietnam finds its wealthy and sundry traditions, and corrects universal misunderstandings approximately hyperlinks to different practices, akin to early Buddhism or Hinayana Buddhism contains student-friendly positive factors together with a thesaurus and different learn aids
Drawn from the lessons, travels, and spontaneous interactions with the scholars of Namgyal Rinpoche, the 1st westerner to be known through the Tibetans as an incarnate Lama, this skillfully-curated number of first-hand scholar reminiscences conveys a deep point of dating with a dwelling meditation grasp not often skilled outdoor of monastic existence.
- Straight from the Heart: Buddhist Pith Instructions
- Buddhist Moral Philosophy: An Introduction
- Eine besondere Kraft: Schriften, Übersetzungen, Briefe (German Edition)
- Beyond Secret: The Upadeśa of Vairocana On the Practice and of the Great Perfection
- ABRIR LA MANO DEL PENSAMIENTO:Fundamentos de la práctica del budismo zen (Sabiduría Perenne) (Spanish Edition)
Extra info for A Cultural History of Japanese Buddhism (Wiley-Blackwell Guides to Buddhism)